Thursday, December 20, 2012

Hard Cinnamon Candy




Wednesday was a long, busy day.
Grandboy and I went grocery shopping - for 2 hours - to get stuff to make a bunch of goodies.
I made 5 different items plus 2 dinners. I knew Grandboy wouldn't like what his Papaw wanted for dinner so I made him spaghetti, with stinky cheese(parmesan)!

Here's a bonus picture for you, he never liked spaghetti until I showed him how to eat it the fun way....I know, bad mammaw!



I will be sharing all the recipes that I made in the next few days. 
The first recipe I want to share is for Hard Cinnamon Candy.

Let me go ahead and warn you, if you make this and you plan on giving it to small children, be careful to make sure that the edges of the candy are not sharp when you break it up or you could score the candy before it hardens all the way so that the edges won't be as sharp. I wouldn't want any babies to get a cut in the mouth.

Ok, here are the ingredients that I will need...
Water (not pictured)
Sugar
Corn syrup
Cinnamon oil
red food coloring



If you're fancy and have a candy thermometer - great.
If you're like me, just use a cup of water to test what stage the candy is at.
On second thought, I may need to get me a fancy candy thermometer because I let my candy go to far, I wanted it a tiny bit soft but I ended up with hard.

Hard Cinnamon Candy
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (more or less depending on the color you want)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon oil (more or less depending on how spicy you want it)

Items you will also need:
sheet pan to pour the candy on to cool/harden
parchment paper to line pan
powdered sugar to sprinkle on parchment so candy doesn't stick

Mix sugar, water and corn syrup in a heavy pot. Over medium heat, stir til sugar is dissolved  Bring to a boil and cook to the desired candy stage.
Remove from heat and add food coloring and cinnamon oil.
CAUTION - keep your head back so that the steam from adding the oil doesn't choke you or make you pass out from losing your breath. Cinnamon oil is very strong!

Stir and pour onto your powdered sugar sprinkled, parchment lined pan.

hard #cinnamon #candy #cinnamoncandy


I ended up with hard candy so I had fun breaking it into pieces.
You know, making hard candy can be a dangerous thing. That stuff is like glass when your trying to break it.

hard #cinnamon #candy #cinnamoncandy


And here's my candy all cracked up..

hard #cinnamon #candy #cinnamoncandy

After tasting this, my husband decided he wants some peppermint candy. So I'll be making that next.....as soon as I get some peppermint oil. I think he just wants to see me get choked up by the steam from the oil again.

Here are some helpful links on the different stages of candy and the temperatures....



3 comments :

  1. Oh that spaghetti your son is eating looks so very delicious!! As a lover of all things cinnamon, this candy recipe is calling my name. Looks leagues more delicious than any store bought cinnamon candy!

    I hope you're having a great week my dear!
    Thank you so much for linking up to last week's Aloha Friday Blog Hop!! I'm following you.

    If you have time, we'd love to have you come and link up to the Aloha Friday Blog Hop if you haven't already! We are hosting a great giveaway too which is a wonderful opportunity to give some extra exposure to you lovely blog. Come and link up, enter the giveaway and celebrate the coming weekend with us!

    Aloha,

    Jean {What Jean Likes}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays! Following from Thee Networking Blog Hop. Please stop by my blog & follow if you haven't already. :)

    Kristina
    http://www.yomichaelmichael.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious. I have a boy coming home in a few days who loves Cinnamon Candy, maybe his wife and I will give this a go (if she wants to). :) Thanks for sharing it, and for linking up to Super Sunday Sync.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)