Monday, January 28, 2013

Grandboys burned finger and home remedy



Grandboy loves to help cook and he has a habit of pushing one of his little chairs up to the stove when I'm cooking so that he can help. 
I don't mind this at all, in fact I love the fact that he is so interested in cooking/baking.

Every time he helps me cook, I remind him that the cook-top is hot and it will burn, he even knows when the little red dot is on, that means it's still hot.
And up til now he has listened really well and has been super careful not to 
touch the red cook-top.
And I am always right there with him because I always get out all the ingredients that I will be needing before I start cooking.

He came home from school Thursday and wanted tomato soup. Yuck! I can not eat tomato soup, it makes me want to gag. But he loves it so whatever.

I had taken the pot off the eye and told him not to touch the cook-top because it was hot.
I poured his bowl of soup right there beside him and all of a sudden he gets down from his chair and I hear him in the bathroom going through his Mommas things.
Then I started to smell an awful smell.

I asked him what he was doing and he said he needed a bandaid.
I walk over and ask what happened.
He holds his little finger up......

(Sorry for the poor quality, this was taken with my phone)


Oh this just hurts my heart!
He starts crying and freaking out and I try to calm him but inside I'm freaking out just as bad.
I know some will wonder why I snapped the picture; I had to so that I could text it to his Momma so she could tell me how she wanted me to handle it. My first thought was go to the doctor but Momma said try some things at home first.

First I squirted aloe vera all over it and he said it helped a little bit but it was still hurting bad.
Then I give him some Advil for the pain.
Since the aloe wasn't really helping, I poured a cup of milk and stuck his hand in it.
That got him tickled and he stopped crying.
We soaked his hand in milk for about 20 minutes and he said it was feeling much better.
Then I made some chamomile tea with cool water and added a teaspoon of honey
and stuck his hand in that for about 20 more minutes.

The charred burn turned into a flat blister but it is not as bad as I thought it would be. 
He is using his finger like nothing happened.
I asked him why he touched the hot cook-top and he said he just had to see what it felt like but he has learned his lesson.

I may be crazy but I believe putting his hand in the milk so soon is what prevented it from being much worse.
The fat content in the milk helps soothe the burn.
And chamomile has anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-microbial properties.

I'd be safe to say that he won't want to help cook for a while and I'd just about guarantee he won't ever touch the hot cook-top again!





2 comments :

  1. My kids love to help me cook and bake too (and pull a chair up to the stove) and I always warn them to stay away - I hope your grandboy is feeling all better! I found you on the MBC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of using milk but I will try this next time! I’m a new follower of your blog from the Monday Mingle Blog Hop! Would love if you could stop by mine. Thanks :0)

    The Three Whiskateers
    http://thethreewhiskateers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)