Saturday, February 9, 2013

Grandboy's going far away....



Please, please tell me that my family isn't the only one that has 
real family drama moments.
I mean, I would love to sugar coat our lives and pretend that 
all of our days are filled with rainbows and sprinkles;
But I can not lie. We are real, we are human and we get grumpy sometimes.
And I like to keep it real so here is one of our 
dramatic family moments....

Grandboy can be so sensitive sometimes and now that he's a "big boy" 
that doesn't need naps, things can get pretty dramatic.

He was outside with Papaw for a few minutes on Sunday and 
he decided he wanted to get on the roof to clean the leaves off and
to take down the Christmas lights.

Yes, we're some of those folks that still have Christmas lights up.
But hey, they are clear lights so they look good any time of the year!

So Papaw tells Little Buddy that he can not get on the roof because
1. It's like 12 degrees outside
2. the roof will be slick from rain/snow
3. they may slip off and break their necks

But Papaw assures him that as soon as it gets warm, he will let him on 
the roof to help clean off the leaves.

Grandboy goes all to pieces.
He said that Papaw "tore" his heart and he now has to go far away across the seas.
The fella was trying so hard not to cry but his little chin kept quivering.

He proceeds to pack his lunch box with bottled water and snacks,
packs up his army men and loads his backpack with toys.
He even tries to stuff his tent in his backpack, which I get tickled at because the tent is in the box and the box is much bigger than his backpack.

This whole time I'm trying to convince him that he can not leave and if he does my heart will break right out of me. He says that I can go with him but not Papaw.
I'm telling him that his friends at school will miss him and we will all be sad.

The boy is determined to run away!
I struggle with him at the door, trying to make him laugh and get him distracted.
Nothing is working.
His Momma tells him he can't go across the seas because he doesn't have a passport.
So he said that he will just go to the desert.

He's so quick with comebacks!


Look how pitiful he is.
Bless his heart, he's got his boots on the wrong feet!



Well he got out the door and was headed down the driveway.
I knew he was pretty serious so I took off after him and finally caught him 
at the end of the driveway.
He only stopped there because I screamed at him that he better not go in the road.

Honestly, I can't believe he made it to the end of the driveway carrying
that skateboard, backpack and lunch box!

Momma is right behind me and she grabs him up and tells him that Papaw wasn't being mean and that he didn't mean to hurt his feelings and that we all have to stay together.

He still insists on going far away!


I asked him what would make him stay and he said nothing.

So I said will you promise to stay if I give Papaw a whipping.


Why didn't I think of that 45 minutes ago!


That put a big smile on his face!

He agreed to stay so we went in and I got my belt and we gave Papaw a whipping!
(Not really, just pretend)


My goodness! I need a nap after all of that drama.

When my Daughter was little, we only played this game 1 time.
When she threatened to run away, I told her to go pack her bags!
I know, I'm terrible. But it worked because she never said that again.

I get cracked up at myself because I handle things so differently with Grandboy 
compared to how I handled things with Daughter.


Please, if you have similar run away stories, share them.
Or share how you did or how you will handle a 5 year old trying to run away.







*I am not trying to make light of runaways, I know how devastating a true runaway situation is. 
But Grandboy is 5 and doesn't understand the seriousness of it. 
Yes, his Momma told him that bad people are out there and 
would snatch him up if he really went away on his own. 
Please understand that I'm just sharing a somewhat funny family story.*


14 comments :

  1. Aww ! Don't worry . It all happens to little heads . I , myself once wanted to runaway when i was 6 and my Mum wasn't agreed to take me my fave park :)
    Noor @ Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I look at this story as one about a spirited, creative child who has a fearless sense of adventure! At age 4, I see my grandsons beginning to assert themselves when things don't go their way. Nothing to do about it except exactly what you did here - including saving it as a blog post for him to read years from now - and laugh about how cute it really is!
    PS I probably would have also told my own daughters to "go ahead - run!" Grandkids are different, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought he was your little one! Apparently I don't know what memaw is! You look way to young to have a grandchild!! Seriously!

    I remember " running" away once. I only packed toys and only made it down the driveway when I realized I would be missing out on a good dinner later... Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. O my thank you for sharing..i truly love that story..what a little treasure to save in your memories for years down the road..and his children. No you WERE NOT A MEAN MAMA telling your little one 'GO AHEAD" When she threatened to run away...Most of us take that approach you know.WHAT A STORY!!

    lOVE FOR YOU TO FOLLOW AT
    LIKE GRAMMA'S HOUSE
    Jonell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! My name is Christy over at Monkeys and Twinkle Stars. I am your newest follower and look forward to getting to know you and your journey. I also nominated you for the Liebster Award. ;-)

    I hope you have a wonderful day!
    XOXO
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  6. When our little neighbor was about 4, he told his mom that he was running away. He packed his bag, grabbed his blankie and walked across the grass to our house. When my mom opened the door he informed her that he was going to live with us now.

    Of course once he realized he would have to share a room and we did not have a pool like they did, he went right home again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Family wouldn't be family without any drama. I think most kids go through a time when they want to run away from home, and the fearless ones actually pack their bags and get ready to go. And I think it's real cute how quick he is with his comebacks! When he is older and learns about the dangers of running away, I'm sure he'll remember this and know that he's got a great family that loves him.
    ~Kim
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com
    PS - Meet & Greet blog hop goes all weekend until Monday night, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, this is so cute and pathetic at the same time! Chin quivering and everything! Wow! You thought quickly though! Crisis averted.
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a child I would dramatically pack a bag and set up "home" in the shed! But never lasted long as I would be driven home by hunger (taking food with me never occured). If my daughter threatens to run, it is always to Grandma!

    Kate x
    http://www.kateathome.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. My five year old hasn't threatened it yet, thank goodness for it too because he's a determined sort. ;) Laughing at the boots and what a cute little one you guys have in the fam.! I'm visiting today from Raising Imperfection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehehehe, such a cute story!


    Thanks for sharing your favorite post at Raising Imperfection! We feature our favorites on Friday, make sure to come back and check.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trust me you are not the only one! I have a 3.5 year old niece that definitely has a mind of her own :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember when I threatened to my mother about this. Thankfully Reagan being two she hasn't gotten to that stage but she's already shooing me out of her room.
    Scary thought.
    Great thinking on your part to avert a crisis :)

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)