Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Homemade Valentine Cookies



Grandboys decorated valentine cookies


homemade valentine cookie from Grandboy


We normally don't do Valentines cookies but I figured since I didn't get any of the Christmas cookies we decorated then we would make some for Valentines.
Grandboy is always up for decorating some cookies!

The recipe we use for our sugar cookies is the absolute best.
Honestly, they are so soft and tender and not too sweet.
We found it in an old Better Homes and Gardens recipe book years and years ago.

So we gather our ingredients and start mixing...

ingredients and mixing cookies

We put the dough in the fridge to chill and we wait for Grandboy to get home.
While we are waiting, I get our icing ready...

filling icing bags

Grandboy and I roll out the dough and cut the shapes.
He loves to help...

cutting cookie shapes


After they bake and cool, the fun begins.
These are all Grandboys works of art....

Grandboys decorated valentine cookies

Aren't they lovely!
He did a great job!

Grandboys decorated valentine cookies

Grandboys decorated valentine cookies

Grandboys decorated valentine cookies

Grandboys decorated valentine cookies




Sugar Cookies
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup shortening
2 cups all purpose flour
1 egg
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash of salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Beat butter and shortening.
Add half of the flour, the egg, sugar, milk, baking powder, vanilla and salt.
Beat til thoroughly combined.
Beat in remaining half of flour.
Cover and chill for 3 hours.

On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough at a time about 1/8 inch thick.
Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 for 7 or 8 minutes.
Cool on a rack.
If desired, decorate with frosting.

12 comments :

  1. Cute! Homemade (edible) gifts are always the best. Found your blog through Bloggy Moms and your newest follower :) I love Valentine's Day now that I'm a mom! Just made raspberry cream cheese heart tarts yesterday...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a baker in the making! My favorite part of cookies is the icing, so I would love these!

    Thank you for linking up to the In and Out of the Kitchen party! I look forward to seeing what you bring next week!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think GrandBoy did a wonderful job! I can't ever get enough icing on my cookies either. =)

    Thanks for linking up at my Oh HAPPY Day party too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I love sugar cookies! It looks like he had such a wonderful time making these. They're adorable...the perfect Valentine's Day treat! :-)

    I wanted to let you know that I am featuring Snack Cups and Smiles at this week's Harvest of Friends Weekend Blog Hop. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for Valentine's Day! Stopping through from Everyday Harvest Hop! New follower via G+:)
    Shawna @ www.busymomibee.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on being the featured blog on Harvest of Friends blog hop!! I'm already following you every which way.
    Thanks
    Angie
    godsgrowinggarden.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there. thanks for linking up.

    I have a question about blog if you can help. I'm trying to add a link for my fb, twitter, pinterest, email etc. do you know how? like you have on the side of your page. if you can help let me know asap. message me on fb. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. they look beautiful
    happy Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What cute little cookies! Visiting from the aloha hop :)

    storiesofkel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I loooove the way little kids think! You can never have too much icing ;) New follower, and thanks for the follow over at Mandie's Two Cents!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl I like the way that YOU do cookies! Lots of yummy icing! I am so in! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cookies look amazing! I can't wait till my son is old enough to help me decorate cookies :) Thanks for sharing! I found you via In Designer Jeans

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)