Saturday, February 2, 2013

Homemade Valentine decoration





I've told you all before that I like to save boxes. 
Any kind of box.
Even empty chocolate candy boxes.
My husband thinks I'm crazy sometimes.

But I made a pretty Valentine decoration with some heart shaped chocolate candy boxes.
We live about 45 minutes from a Russell Stovers Outlet and
a few months ago they were having a clearance sale because they were moving.
Man, I wish I had bought a lot more candy.
But we got 10 boxes of chocolates for $10.
I know, $1 a box, why didn't I buy a lot more candy!

Anyway, I saved a few of the empty boxes and I had some free time today
so I decided to make a few homemade Valentine decorations.

I didn't know what I was gonna make at first but I printed a heart template from
Smarty Pants Fun Printables and gathered my "extras"

homemade valentines decoration #diy #crafts #holidaydecoration #valentines #repurpose #reuse #recycle


I decided to make some hanging hearts so I cut out the heart templates and
traced them on the candy box and cut them out.
Cutting a cardboard candy box is not easy!

homemade valentines decoration #diy #crafts #holidaydecoration #valentines #repurpose #reuse #recycle



I did 4 hearts in 3 sizes. I used 2 different candy box tops and tried to get as much of the design on the box that I could.
I kinda got distracted and forgot to take a picture of my cut out hearts.
But I just poked 2 holes in each heart to thread some ribbon through them so I could hang them on the wall.

Here is my finished decoration...

homemade valentines decoration #diy #crafts #holidaydecoration #valentines #repurpose #reuse #recycle


I think it's cute and when Grandboy came home from school and saw it, he wanted to make some for his room. He gets super excited about any holiday.
He is even excited about Groundhog Day!

homemade valentines decoration #diy #crafts #holidaydecoration #valentines #repurpose #reuse #recycle



I also made another Valentine decoration and I'll be posting that one in a few days.



homemade valentines decoration #diy #crafts #holidaydecoration #valentines #repurpose #reuse #recycle




14 comments :

  1. OMG That would be awesome to live so close to CHOCOLATE! What a great Valentines wall hanging! So cute and an amazing deal. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, it is pretty awesome. My husband takes me there every year for Valentines day.

      Delete
  2. nice decoration =)
    Bloghopping from :
    http://prewchatterly.com
    http://moneycharmer.com
    http://crazylittlethingcalledblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful way to recycle old candy boxes! This is really pretty.

    Thank you for sharing. So glad you could join this week’s Harvest of Friends Weekend Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I have a thing with saving and re-using boxes of any kind, gift bags and tissue paper used for gifts. My husband makes fun of me for it! :)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Cute decoration, and how restrained to only buy 10 boxes of chocolate at $1 a box!

    Kate x
    http://www.kateathome.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Now I'm kinda wishing I had bought buggies full like everyone else was, then I'd have all kinds of Valentine candy to share. But then again, I might not have been safe in the house with that much candy!

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. That is an absolutely gorgeous decoration. What a wonderful way to share the love. I would never have thought of doing something like that. All the designs and colors go together so perfectly. Thank you for sharing this tutorial and your talent. Have a great day!


    Kelly at Here's My Take On It

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your nice comments. I think it turned out pretty and I'm all about re-using and re-purposing things.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. This is a GREAT idea! I recently started redecorating my guest bathroom in pink and black and needed some ideas on pink decor, I knew Vday gave me the opportunity to find boat loads of pink things just haven't had any idea what to do with them, til now. Thanks Angie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank you!
      I love pink and black together.
      All this pink and purple for Valentines is making me want to paint something pink.....so I bought some pink nail polish, figured painting a wall pink might be too much.

      Delete
  7. so cute! I have been trying to get my Pinterest on, and trying to do some craafts on my own. Not easy for someone like me :) following you from Favorite Thing Friday. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every year I eat up all the chocolate in the hear and wonder what to do with the pretty box. Your idea is great. This year I will save them and make something out of them. Thanks for the inspiration.

    jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your from the Naptime Review hop and couldn't resist clicking on your blog title...too cute! Love the cute ideas...new follower here. I blog over at www.happyorganizedlife.com.

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)