Monday, March 25, 2013

Healthy Meatless Meal - Squash



sauteed zucchini, yellow squash and baby sweet peppers served on a bed of spaghetti squash


Sometimes I want just veggies for dinner.
I love veggies. We've been eating salads for weeks now
and I still want more. 

I also like to try new or different things.
I've been eyeing the spaghetti squash at the grocery store for a few weeks now and decided to get one. I've had a dish in mind that I've been wanting to make
so I went all over town trying to find some decent 
zucchini and yellow squash. I found some and it was worth the effort!

I've had spaghetti squash once before but I didn't like the meal we had with it 
so I was gonna give it another try.

To cut this squash, you will need a good knife.
Not kidding, that baby was hard to cut.

I preheated my oven to 400 degrees.
Ya know, I don't understand why it takes a new oven 30 minutes to preheat.
That's just crazy to me. Anyway.
I cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrapped the seeds out.
Then I slathered about a tablespoon of olive oil on both halves and seasoned with
salt and pepper. I roasted it in the oven for about 50 minutes.



spaghetti squash

spaghetti squash


While that was roasting in the oven, I chopped the zucchini, yellow squash
and some baby sweet peppers.

zucchini, yellow squash and baby sweet peppers


About 15 minutes before the spaghetti squash was done roasting, I started
sauteing the other veggies in a skillet with a few drops of olive oil and salt.

zucchini, yellow squash and baby sweet peppers


It's kinda fun to serve the spaghetti squash. Just take a fork and scrape
at it until it all "shreds" off.

serving spaghetti squash


Looky there, it really looks like spaghetti!

This is looking like a success!
Sauteed zucchini, yellow squash and baby sweet peppers served on a bed of spaghetti squash. This dish was delicious! My sweet husband keep going on and on about how good it was. Yum! I was a little impressed myself!

sauteed zucchini, yellow squash and baby sweet peppers on a bed of spaghetti squash


Spaghetti Squash with Zucchini, Yellow Squash & Baby Sweet Peppers

Ingredients
1    spaghetti squash 
1    zucchini squash 
1    summer squash ( large ) 
6    mini sweet pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds out. 
Drizzle with olive oil and salt & pepper.
Roast in oven for about 50 minutes.

While the spaghetti squash is roasting, prepare the zucchini, yellow squash and baby sweet peppers.
15 minutes before the spaghetti squash is done, heat skillet with a drop of olive oil and start sauteing the zucchini and yellow squash. cook for 5 minutes and add the peppers.

With a fork, scrape the spaghetti squash out of the skin.

Serve the sauteed veggies on a bed of spaghetti squash



Linking to:
post signature

8 comments :

  1. This looks delicious! I love squash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got one of these the other day, and it surprised me how much food it gives you. It was way too much for just me and my husband. Really tasty though, like you said, and a great recipe for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm been SO over all the meat dishes I've been cooking lately, and have been on the search for some yummy meatless options. Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to give the spaghetti squash a go. This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an amazing recipe for Spaghetti Squash Tacos that I got on Allrecipes. It sounds crazy, but it is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this recipe....looking forward to making it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love spaghetti squash! We’ll have to give this a try. Thank you for sharing at the HomeAcre Hop! Look forward to seeing you again tomorrow. http://blackfoxhomestead.com/the-homeacre-hop/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried spaghetti squash. I'll have to try it. Thanks for linking up at the Tried and True Party! http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/05/tried-and-true-recipes-11.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)