Friday, May 10, 2013

Fage Total Yogurt & Death by Chocolate Cheesecake!

I received 3 coupons for free products from BzzAgent for the purpose 
of giving my opinion and sharing feedback. Please see my full Disclosure HERE.



I got in the Fage Bzz Campaign at BzzAgent and they sent me 3 coupons for free 
Fage Total yogurt. I really like this yogurt because it is all natural, it's gluten free 
and only has 3 ingredients; milk, cream and live active cultures.

I have to say that I can't eat greek yogurts because of the thick texture, it gags me.
But this yogurt is different from other greek yogurts I've tried. 
It's not as thick and it is so creamy.

I got the Fage Total 2% yogurt and intended on using it in some recipes.

Today I'm going to share one of those recipes with you. I got the recipe 
from the Fage website and here is the link to the recipe I used.
Of course I altered it to suit my family's likes.

Oh my goodness! 
When I was trying to think of what to call this cheesecake, 
my husband suggested I call it
"one bite and your dead". HA!

So I went with Death by Chocolate Cheesecake.

Death by Chocolate Cheesecake!


This is the first cheesecake I have ever made and I'm pretty 
pleased with how it turned out.

Ingredients I used:

FAGE Total 2%

cream cheese, softened at room temperature
Large eggs
granulated sugar
unsweetened cocoa powder
unsweetened chocolate, chopped
oreo cookies
butter, melted
semi-sweet morsels (not pictured)
heavy whipping cream (not pictured)
(Recipe & directions at bottom of post)


Death by Chocolate Cheesecake! ingredients


First I pre-heated my oven to 350 degrees.
Then I made the crust with Oreo cookies and melted butter.
I don't have a food processor - yet - so I did my cookies the old school way;
I put them in a ziplock and beat them with a rolling pin.
I baked it for about 12 minutes.

oreo cookie crust

While the crust was cooling I made the cheesecake filling.

Death by Chocolate Cheesecake! filling

I didn't use hazelnuts and instead of dark chocolate,
I used unsweetened chocolate.

I poured the filling on top of the crust and baked for 1 hour & 15 minutes.
My cheesecake cracked but don't worry, I'll be hiding that
with some ganache yumminess.

Death by Chocolate Cheesecake!

While it was cooling, I made the ganache topping.

ganache topping

Again, I didn't use hazelnuts and I used semi-sweet morsels.

Spread the ganache on top of the cheesecake...

Death by Chocolate Cheesecake!

See, all better. Right? Looks beautiful.
Well, not beautiful but better.

Since I used unsweetened chocolate in the filling, the semi-sweet morsels 
in the ganache balance out the sweetness.

Death by Chocolate Cheesecake!

Death by Chocolate Cheesecake!


Crust:
25 Oreo cookies, crushed or pulsed in food processor
1/4 cup melted butter

Filling:
3/4 cup FAGE Total 2% yogurt

3 blocks of cream cheese (24 ounces), softened at room temperature

3 Large eggs
1 large egg yolk
10 ounces granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
10 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped

Ganache Topping:
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare cookies for crust and press into pan. I used a spring-form pan.
Bake crust for 10-12 minutes. Cool.

Melt your chocolate. You can do it in a double boiler but I microwaved mine 
for 2 minutes and stirred and it was perfectly melted. Set aside.
Mix cream cheese and yogurt until fluffy.
Add sugar, cocoa powder and eggs and blend until it looks like a silky mouse.
Fold in the melted chocolate until well combined.
Pour the mixture on to the crust and bake for about 
1 hour and 15 minutes or until center is set.
While the cheesecake is cooling, make your ganache.
Pour semi-sweet morsels in a bowl.
Heat whipping cream until it just starts to boil and pour over the morsels. 
Be sure to stand at the stove when heating your cream because it will boil over 
if you let it, that's why I heat mine until it just starts to boil.
Stir until all morsels are melted. I also added a drop of vanilla extract to my ganache.
Pour over cheesecake. Let cool.
Refrigerate any leftovers.

I can't wait to share my other ideas with the Fage Total yogurt!

You know Grandboy had to get in on the cooking action too...





Linking to:


post signature 
 Post Sponsor Ad:

16 comments :

  1. Can I come over for some now please. I looooove anything chocolate..

    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie I forgot to invite you to add this chocolate tummy tempter to my Recipe Hop today.
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, yum, yummy, yum, yum!!! Wow! This looks simply delicious! I would love to sit down and devour a piece of that chocolate cheesecake with a nice cup of hot black coffee on the side. I love to bake too! I'm actually getting ready to try my hand at some rolled and cut sugar cookies for my daughters class for the summer birthdays.

    I found your blog at What Jean Likes and the Aloha Friday Blog hop. I can't wait to come back and see some more tasty treats.

    Cari @ Reach For The Star Berries
    Reach For The Star Berries

    ReplyDelete
  4. the cak looks soooo tastfull

    LG Grace www.zeit-fuer-dich.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, that cake looks pretty fantastic for a first cheesecake! My husband would LOVE this, chocoholic and cheesecake lover that he is! Thanks so much for sharing and please have a wonderful weekend and a happy, happy Mother's Day! Cindy@littlemisscelebration.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks so decedent and delicious!! pinning this for later!! happy mother's day!

    amanda @ the anti-mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks AMAZING!! Thank you for sharing this :) I'm going to have to try it soon. Won't be the best thing for my diet, but MMMM it looks worth it!

    Hugs!
    Gabby @ Essentially Eclectic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, that cake is looking very yummy! I love cheesecake and I love chocolates, so I am having a serious craving right now looking at these photos!!

    BTW, found you via the blog hop. I'd love it if you can drop by mine and check out my latest post: www.fashchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. droool! big chocolate addict over here!!

    Thank you for sharing at Pin It Tuesday with PowerfulMothering.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM, I love chocolate and cheesecake so this is a great recipe. Pinned
    Thanks for sharing at Swap N Share Sundays
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazingly delicious! I seriously wish that I could eat dairy:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! This looks amazing. I would love to make this but I don't have oreo cookies but have everything else. I found you from Spatulas on Parade! Cheers Mr.CBB... pop around every Sunday on Facebook for my Frugal Food Sunday Party!! Share a budget friendly recipe. I post one recipe on my blog every Sunday!
    Cheers
    Mr.CBB

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the chocolate smiles! Oreo cookie crust-yum! Thanks for sharing at the Tried and True Recipe party! http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/05/tried-and-true-recipes-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did I miss this before?! Looks AMAZING! My chocoholic son would love me forever if I made this :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, that is one yummy cheesecake. Pinning!

    Ritchil
    http://chengand3kids.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)